Thursday, September 25, 2008

How I save money

Since money is such a big thing right now, i thought i would post some things I do to save money and make sure I don't overspend budgets.

1. Savings and checking accounts

I have 2 savings account and a checking account. One of the savings account is a high-interest/high-minimum savings account. This is where I drop my long-term savings into. The other savings account is a low-interest/low-minimum account for short term savings. This is for bills, rent, anything I know I will have to pay at the end of the month. I also dump extra cash into the short term savings and keep my checking account low (usually $100). This keeps me from spending more than $100 at any one time. In order to do it, I have to go and transfer the money, then go buy it, which makes me think if I really need the thing in question.

2. Groceries

Take a calculator with you when you go and buy groceries. I tell my self, I won't spend more than $75 on groceries when I go. Taking a calculator with me, I can calculate what my total will be before the clerk at the register does it for me, so no surprises, and I know I am getting what I need. I also buy a lot of rice, chicken, cheese, etc... Cheap food that can go a long way (ok, maybe not the cheese, but it is a nice snack). Frozen food like chicken and pizza, and things like sausage that are vacuum-wrapped (sammich makings and the like) are awesome.

I don't, however, track my expenses, which I need to start doing. I did for a while with GnuCash, which I really like, I just can't be bothered to track them. Maybe I will start trying again...

What do you do to save money?

No comments:

Post a Comment