Thursday, December 13, 2007

Kickstart for Debian?

The kickstart file for Fedora is bad ass. It is like the preseed file for Debian, but doesn't suck and has (good) documentation. I have done things like this:


sudo dpkg -l | grep ii | awk '{str=str $2 " "} END {print str}' > installed


to get the installed packages on one system easily accessible and recreatable for another system, but it is a bit more of a pain than just having something like the kickstart file already available, or just typing in redhat-config-kickstart and getting a nice GUI.

Plus, my way doesn't transfer settings.

Basically, I am looking for a better way to do this in Debian/Ubuntu. Any thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I know this topic is quite old. Since it ranks on google I'm sure other people are finding this.

    With Ubuntu you can use:
    system-config-kickstart

    That will pull up GUI for creating a ubuntu kickstart

    ReplyDelete