But I am impatient and don't like waiting for corporate bureaucracy to "fix" things that are broken. (How does that go again? Whatever cuts least into our bottomline...)
So, there is a patch proposed here that fixes the shortcoming (bug) in the API that wine had when dealing with SSL/TLS connections. Right off the bat, the patch does not work for the latest wine release (1.3.3). A little editing was required to patch the right files (dlls/wininet/internet.c iirc).
I fixed up the patch (which you can download by clicking here) so that after downloading the wine 1.3.3 tarball, I unpacked the tarball, patched, compiled, and indeed the patch works.
Specific commands used...
tar xjf wine-1.3.3.tar.bz2
patch -p0 < ../audible_wine-1.3.3.patch
make && make install
I did however need to get the wine dependencies from apt...
apt-get build-dep wine
Hope this helps others in the same boat as me! I hate waiting for companies to find time to appease the customers rather than making time.