Wednesday, January 9, 2008

I am happy

Today, I ended up reloading Ubuntu on my work computer. I was on 7.04 when the day started. I was checking out the status of ClamAV and realised it had released 0.92 officially. I have been on this installation of Ubuntu for a couple months now, and it was a pretty dirty installation. I do a lot of testing on it, software wise. So, I backed up all the customer backups, records, and disc images to an external drive and downloaded a Xubuntu 7.10 CD image. I had left a customer's hard drive in the IDE tray and the external plugged while I installed Xubuntu. I guess I selected the wrong drive during installation or something because the customer's MBR got wiped, so it wouldn't boot in her computer (easy fix, boot to Windows CD, Recovery Console, fixmbr). Because the installation used her MBR instead of mine, GRUB errored every time on my computer. I didn't have the time to deal with the MBR on my machine, so I just took out all the drives and reinstalled Xubuntu (it only takes like 10-15 minutes, so it was worth it).

After that, I restored all the backups and images, compiled ClamAV 0.92, had to do a sudo ldconfig because I was getting a shared lib error. Then, edited the /usr/local/etc/freshclam.conf and clamd.conf to enable updates and such (don't know why they aren't enabled by default, at least in freshclam.conf). ClamAV has had a much higher detection rate (compiled with --enable-experimental) than Norton has in our little tests/contests at work, but is considerably slower. I think the average scan is ~150 min. Norton is generally 30-45 min. I do find virii that ClamAV doesn't catch sometimes though, so I try and and burn them to a CD with descriptions and such and upload them to the ClamAV team to get some defs for them.

I am currently taking a break from the customer portal I am working on for work. I will probably finish the add customer and employee forms tonight with the PHP stuffs included. Will try to finish jobs by the end of the week. When I am done (should be next week some time), our customers will be able to login and see the status of their computers. I really wish our POS was able to be integrated with so we wouldn't have to enter the data twice, but, alas, it isn't. The POS I write will be fully integrated with it. If I ever get around to writing it , that is...

No comments:

Post a Comment