Wednesday, February 6, 2008

I can't believe I said that...

I went to what I thought was a "meet and greet" type thing at Trent DeGray's father's work, since he recommended that they take a look at me for some of there projects. It turns out it was more an interview, which I guess makes sense in hindsight, but the thought didn't cross my mind until it was happening, not that it is a bad thing.

I am pretty sure I made a good impression on the first two guys I talked to, as well as the big boss there...except for one thing that I said which probably made me look like a complete idiot. He was asking me questions about how I would implement such and such. I don't know why I thought this, or why I didn't catch it, maybe I was a bit nervous after realising that this was an interview, I don't know. He asked me a question about "many-to-many" databases, I thought he was saying "mini-to-mini". I figured this was some inside term that they use for bank transactions that had slipped out or something, so I look at him and "I am sorry, 'mini-to-mini'?". So he starts describing "one database with rules, one with locations". I am pretty sure I answered the question right, without realising he was saying "many-to-many". I was at my apartment when I realised what he was saying, so I emailed Trent's dad and explained what had happened, hoping to gain a little bit more dignity out of that question. We will see what happens...

By the way, I hate Texas for this exact reason. I wonder how many people have not been hired because of mistakes like this...

No comments:

Post a Comment