Monday, May 12, 2008

Summer project(s)

Mono has been part of the GSOC for the past couple of years now. This year, I wasn't sure if I was going to have time to do a project for them (it would be my first), so I am too late to formally join Mono's SOC. Although, I have talked to some of the guys in #mono and they said go for it anyway and if whatever you do is good, I doubt they will have a problem including you in the end. So, I have decided on what I will do. It will be a small cross-platform security suite
with antivirus/antispyware powered by ClamAV (it will have an option of scanning incoming webpages from all the mainstream web browsers for viruses or malicious code as well as phishing filter), an optional web filter for schools or parents who would like to filter their kids searching, and possibly some other things. This should be really fun. One disappointment I found is that the ClamAV bindings for C# haven't been updated since October of 2005 :-/. So, I will probably write my own.
I haven't decided on a name yet, but that isn't the most important thing right now.

Another thing I might start is the GIT# implementation needed for MonoDevelop.

No comments:

Post a Comment