Wednesday, September 26, 2007

openSuSE 10.3 pre-order

I pre-ordered openSuSE 10.3 today (tonight). The total package was 59.99, which with as much software as you get (plus 90 days of free support that I probably won't use), that is a heck of a deal. In fact, it is a much better deal than buying a license for windows at 199 dollars a pop (109 for OEM and 99 for upgrade). I am also torrenting the Foresight Linux LiveCD. It looks pretty nifty (you get to play around with the new GNOME 2.20 without worrying about your system).

In other news, I did some work on Secubuntu today while at work, writing some shell scripts to make it a bit more user friendly for my boss (I made a super_scan script that mounts the drive, gets all the updates for the antivirus, and scans the drive with all three antivirus programs (ClamAV, F-Prot, avast!) one after another and dumps full logs into the root of the windows drive, and when I say full, I mean I pipe the AV through tee and spit the output into the text files instead of the somewhat quiet logs they give out). That super_scan script takes ~6-9 hours depending on the speed of the computer, but it gets _everything_. Not even Norton has beat it. I reduced the size of the ISO to about 520 MB, but I still have a ways to go to get it to a more portable size.

Also, Richard and I went to the Halo 3 Release Tuesday night and he got the Legendary pack. Needless to say, we stayed up till 11:30 and beat it the same day (I had to go to work, but he started over when I got off and got to his house with my TV). We found the apartment that we are going to try to get at the end of Nov. 950 ft^2, 2 bed, 2 bath, max $585 a month. The company that owns the apartment complex also rents out our services at Computer Care, so because I will be at beck and call 24/7 for them, they might even drop the price down another 50 bucks ;-).

No comments:

Post a Comment