Sunday, November 11, 2007

Maybe it _is_ me

For some reason now, every time I rebuild my SquashFS roots with Reconstructor, I get a symbolic link error. This error results in an iso size of >= 800 MB (when the projected size was like 423 MB). I bit of googling gave me one possible reason. Some guy said that he was getting that error when he installed a new kernel in reconstructor/...but I am not installing any new kernels. I have started fresh from an absolute clean Xubuntu iso and still get this error after fully recreating the reconstructor/ directory. It is truly a bizarre occurence. After watching it do this a couple 20 times or so, I realised it only does this when Reconstructor can't unmount /proc in the chroot. Because of this, I can't sudo rm -rf reconstructor/ because all the /proc files are apparently "in use" because they couldn't be unmounted. I have to reboot in order to rm the directory. Anyway, back to the guy mentioned earlier. He said that removing any new kernels and recreating the reconstructor/ directory fixed his problem. I have yet to find a solution.

So, in between my frustrations of figuring out what is going on, I wrote an autorun app (in a RAR archive for best compression) for the LiveCD in VB.NET for the Windows boxen. I need people to test it out, make sure it runs smoothly. It does require the .NET 2.0 Framework to run, so if you get an error saying something like this:


The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135)


that means you need to install the .NET 2.0 Framework. You can get that here. That is something I am working on at the moment, detection and silent installation of the .NET Framework if it isn't found on the host machine. While I was writing the little app (it really is little and easy, mostly Try/Catches of System.Diagnostics.Process.Start()), I did find a neat piece of code. This is one of my subroutines for a Link Label:


Private Sub LinkLabel2_LinkClicked(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.LinkLabelLinkClickedEventArgs) Handles LinkLabel2.LinkClicked
Try
Dim psi As New Diagnostics.ProcessStartInfo()
psi.UseShellExecute = True
psi.FileName = "http://systemslogica.volatileminds.net"
Process.Start(psi)
Catch ex As Exception
System.Diagnostics.Process.Start("IEXPLORE.EXE", "http://systemslogica.volatileminds.net")
Console.WriteLine(ex.ToString)
Finally
End Try
End Sub


Pretty neat way to open a web site in the default browser rather than forcing it to use Internet Explorer like I do if the Try fails and goes into the Catch.

That is enough geeking for me today, I guess. Hopefully I will figure out what is causing my SquashFS symbolic link error so I can get some real work done (though the autorun app was definitely on my TODO list).

Also, Sunday at 3:00, we are having an Ubuntu DFW Team meeting at Java and Cha in Plano. It is a small group meeting really, I am not expecting more than a few 3-5 guys to show besides myself. We are going to talk about some points and ideas that Christer Edwards talked to me about Thursday night. If you would like to stop by and see what we are about, feel free, though if you are reading this, you are probably at least an hour away like I am and don't feel like making a trip like that. If you do want to go, it is really easy to get there. Take 157 (Collins) North to 183. Take a right on 183 to 161. 161 turns into the tollway, so bring a TollTag or some cash. Take 161 north to Coit. Exit Coit, take a left for about 1-2 miles and Java and Cha will be on the right next to a movie theatre.

No comments:

Post a Comment