Friday, November 2, 2007

GNOME 2.20 on Ubuntu Feisty

So, the only reason I wanted to upgraded to Gutsy was because I didn't feel like compiling GNOME 2.20 and Gutsy came with it pre-installed. Tonight, I folded and decided to compile GNOME since I really wasn't impressed with Gutsy. I already have a lot of devel packages installed on my system, so I am sure these are not the only packages you need (like libglib2.0-dev, libgkt2.0-dev, build-essential). I downloaded GARNOME from ftp.gnome.org and unpacked it to my desktop. cd to the garnome/desktop folder in the folder you just unpacked. If you have all the dependencies, make paranoid-install should work right out of the box, but for me I had to get the following packages:

sudo apt-get install libglitz1-dev libglitz-glx-dev libtiff4-dev python2.5-dev flex libgdbm-dev libxml-simple-perl libmagick++9-dev



Anyway, this week sometime Christer Edwards from the Utah LoCo group will be coming down to teach some classes and would like to get some dinner with me and a couple more of the guys in the DFW group. Hopefully, this will be Thursday.

Gentoo has taken about 3 days to compile so far, though I have messed up a lot. Once I get a working copy for a LiveCD, I will test it out and see how it performs against my Ubuntu ones. If the change isn't significant enough to spend more time on it, I will just drop it and use Ubuntu. So far, it is looking as if it will beat Ubuntu, but I can't say for sure, yet. I want to build a 64-bit and 32-bit version of each just to be thorough. I will try to have a solid beta of both Home and Pro uploaded by the end of the weekend (probably Ubuntu). I keep saying that to myself whenever I get free time ("yeah, lemme just upload this no...wait, what if I did this...") and I end up starting a lot of work on it that really isn't needed. It is a bad habit, but maybe I can get myself out of it.

I received my openSUSE 10.3 box this week and am absolutely thrilled. I can't wait to get it loaded in a VM to test it before I put it on a working computer. I am sure it will exceed my expectations, but I am just being paranoid.

Right now, I need to get out of the house, maybe I can convince Richard to go to Starbucks after his Calculus test...

No comments:

Post a Comment